Monday, January 25, 2010

Convenience or Cost?

Sometimes when faced with a situation, you have to decide which is more important to you. Convenience or Cost? Here is the example I ran into this week.

I LOVE Clorox or Lysol wipes. They make cleaning SO Much easier, and I am more likely to keep my house clean if I use them. Being in med school makes money tight...always. As I was running low on my supply of wipes, I had a decision to make.
1. I can buy more cleaning wipes
2. I can buy cleaners, and clean the old-fashioned way
3. I can make cleaners (Thanks to the Book "Clean your house and everything in it", which deserves its own special post), or use cheap cleaners (Thank-you Bleach)
4. I can skip the cleaning all together (trust me, this was NOT actually an option!)

For me, with two kids, school, and being on the go, I had to decide if the convenience of wipes was more important, or if the buying/making more cost-effective products was better. I am all about saving money, but sometimes in order for things to get done, it is worth it to spend a little extra money and save your sanity!

In this particular case, both convenience and cost won!I chose to buy more cleaning wipes to have on hand for things like the counters and sinks (when I'm in a hurry). But I opted to make my own glass cleaner:

1 tsp. rubbing alcohol and 1 pint of water, mixed into a spray bottle.

How easy is that?

Another tip for cleaning glass: Use coffee filters, rather than paper towels, to clean windows and mirrors...they leave a streak-free, lint-free shine! :) Can't complain!

How easy is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment