Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Organization

ORGANIZING--You either love it or hate. I love it!! It is kind of a hobby and I find it very therapeutic. I would like to share some of the easy ideas I have learned over the years. The first idea I would like to share is the idea of ONE MOTION STORAGE. This is a concept I learned years ago and has stuck with me.

What is ONE MOTION STORAGE? Can you retrieve an item from a closet or a drawer in one motion? Can you put the same item back in the closet or drawer in one motion? Let me give you an example. If you need a pair of scissors from the drawer, can you open the drawer and automatically find the scissors and pull them out without moving anything else in the drawer? If you can, this is ONE MOTION STORAGE. If you can't, let see if we can help you achieve it. If we can find something and pull it out or put it back in one motion, you are much more likely to put it back where it goes. If you have to dig in a drawer or worry that something will fall on your head when you get something out of the closet, you might have some work to do. Using scissors as our example, put scissors in all the places you use them maybe not just in one spot. I have several places I have scissors because I use them in the kitchen, at the desk, in the craft room, with the gift wrapping supplies. If you have multiples you can find a place in the drawer or in the area where you use them and put them where you can reach in and grab them in one motion and you can put them back in one motion.

Think about this. If you can even retieve things in two motions you are more likely to keep the area in order. Practice one motion storage maybe using your scissors as a practice tool. Then try it with other things in your home that seem to never get back where they should go.
How easy is that?

1 comment:

  1. pretty handy dandy idea for those who are organizationallly challenged. I'm a clutter freak (see one of my favorite sites unclutterer.com for great tips with humor) and I like to say that leads to organization as well. thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete