Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Organizing Cords




Remember how we talked about figuring out solutions to our own organizational problems? Well I thought I would share one of my problems and how I figured out how to solve the problem. I had a whole bunch of different kinds of cords that are out of control so I thought maybe I could figure out how to get them under control. At the local hardware store (Lowe's in this case) I found these rolls of Velcro strips (quick tie type things) that stick together to form a loop. You can loosen them or tighten them to be as big are as small as you need them to be. I use them for all sorts of things, but for today's hint I am using them to hold together all of my camera cords, Ipod and Zune cords and various types of computer cords. We store all of these cords near our computer because that is where we use them. I found a wire basket that I just throw my cords into after they are labeled and wound up withe the Velcro ties. I use a Brother P-Touch labeler, which I LOVE, and I print out a label for each cord. Each one of our family members have different cameras and different MP3 devices so our cords are always getting confused with someone else's. This has been a wonderful solution for me and the rolls of Velcro ties are only a couple of dollars so it is also a very cost effective solution. I also use these ties to roll and bind the many cords under the computer desk such as the printer cord, the phone cord, the speaker cords etc. to keep them under control. It has been a great solution for one of my organizational problems. How easy is that?

2 comments:

  1. seriously that looks awesome, not only is it organized but for me even though the cords are just in a pile/jumble in the container they are still asthetically pleasing because they are all the same type of item together in one place - way to go. I wish I could get Chris to do that in his office (he has 3 whole bills full of cords)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is genius!! I'm doing it tonight! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete